N°15- Internationalisation

In our session on internationalisation in education we looked at how it affects us as teachers and the challenges in delivering education to internationally diverse cohorts. I recently did a workshop in March on Internationalisation at the Learning and Teaching conference at LCF. In this workshop we were put into groups to discuss the topic of internationalisation in our classroom. One of tutors in my group asked where I was from and I told him I was sort of a mixed bag (my parents from South American but I was born in Jamaica, raised in Canada and then moved the London later in life). He was a bit dumbfounded with this information as he was British and had lived in England his whole life. He the asked if I share my background with my students.

I realised that I did not, I find that I try not share personal information with my students. We then had a discussion as a group and the workshop leader pointed out that sharing my background could help foster interculture with the students. If I am hesitant to speak about my culture, how can I engage my students to do so?

Within my practise I would like to design more sessions on cross cultural collaboration as I have now realised its importance. I watched the below video about The Global Classroom that Natasha Radcliff Thomas set up.

By engaging in cross cultural collaboration we can, foster interculture, encourage peer-to-peer learning which allows the students to gain insights into other cultures which helps to increase interculture awareness and accommodation.

Internationalization is a something that I need to further look into in my practise not only for planning and teaching but also to help support student learning. I would like to delve deeper into understanding what motivates my international students to come to the UK and understand what they do with the skills we teach them once they graduate.